The Milkweed Diaries

Friday, July 8, 2011

Easy, Creamy, Dreamy: Raw Goat Milk Yogurt

So I have discovered that there is almost no work at all involved in making yogurt from raw goat milk. The goats and the microbes do all the work for you! Put some milk in a jar with a little bit of yogurt and viola: creamy, thick, sour-delicious yogurt.

Raw milk yogurt is so easy to make it's hard to even use the word "recipe" here, but here's the recipe:



Goat Milk Yogurt
  1. Fill a clean quart jar almost to the top with raw goat milk
  2. Add a spoonful or two of live culture yogurt
  3. Screw on the lid and let sit for 18 hours or so in a warm place.
  4. Enjoy. Save a couple of spoonfuls for the next batch.
Yum. After the past few years of perpetual move-busting, it's nice to do something that is easy.


I would like to thank the fabulous Ms. Foxy Brown for providing the milk for this adventure in cultured dairy.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I have not had much luck with this, oddly enough. My yogurt comes out with a weird, slippery texture that I don't like at all. I've tried pasteurizing it first, I've tried various different brands of yogurt as starter - I even splurged on some pricey bulgarian yogurt starter culture. Still weird and slippery.

I still eat it - I just usually whirl it in the blender with some fruit first. Flavor is great it's just the texture I can't handle.

Milkweed said...

Hey Aimee,
Weird. Mine has had variable texture, ranging from super-creamy to slightly slimy. I wonder if it has to do with the particular micro-ecology in your kitchen? Do you cover the jar with a lid when you ferment it or leave it open to the air/covered with a cloth? I've heard you can add various things (tapioca, pectin) to change the texture....but they would just thicken it, not take away the slime factor. :(